Monday, May 5, 2014

A Long Conversation

"I like to start my notes to you as if we’re already in the middle of a conversation."
That's part of a line from one of my favorite movies, You've Got Mail. It has always resonated with me because that is exactly how I feel about my text messages.

As phones have become more computer-like, and computers have become more mobile, I've gotten into the habit of considering each person's preferred communication method when I want to get in touch with someone. Is he using his tablet. Is it too late to text? Does she understand the little red notification message at the top of the screen?

Email, Facebook, text message, land line, cell phone. Everyone has his preference and will adamantly argue why his is the best choice.

"I'm on the computer all day at work and don't want to look at it at home." "I don't text." "I don't answer my home phone." "I'm not on Facebook because I don't care what people are having for lunch." At least one of these applies to you, right?

If you want to reach me, use whichever method you prefer. I'll answer...well, maybe not the house phone.

Personally, I cringe at the thought of talking on the telephone, any telephone. I've never mastered the art of interpreting people's emotions or figuring out when it's my turn to speak on the phone. My brain doesn't stay focused well enough to follow along for more than a few minutes before I start thinking about the dishes in the sink or wondering what type of cookies are in the cupboard.

Email and Facebook have their usefulness, but I'll pick up my cell phone and send a text whenever I can. My text messages are parts of long conversations. I like being able to scroll through previous texts to remind myself of those words of encouragement, snippets of gossip, and advice offered or received.

When I replaced my phone in the fall, I sadly visualized all of those long conversations disappearing. I even considered trying to save them, but I didn't want the guy at the store to think I was silly.

And so I started building new conversations that I look forward to continuing.


No comments:

Post a Comment