Thursday, March 6, 2014

Whose Letter Is it, Anyway?

We still get the newspaper delivered to our house every day.

Over the past few months, I've written a few letters to the editor. That's what retired people are supposed to do, right? A couple weeks ago, I was thrilled when I saw my name listed as the author of a letter. My glee turned to disappointment, however, when I started to read. My letter had been altered.

I understand the need to edit the occasional letter for spelling, grammar, or clarity, but this was much more than that. My content and the tone of my letter had been neutered.

I called The Bee and left a message for the page editor expressing my unhappiness. He called back with an apologetic voice mail stating that he felt my letter was too much of a personal attack, and that he regretted editing my letter without first discussing it with me. Had he called with that concern, I would not have given him permission to sign my name to his version of my letter.

I still read the letters to the editor. But now when I do, I wonder how closely they match the author's original intention.

------

This is what I wrote: George Sheridan’s letter to the editor on Feb. 3 makes the statement, “Our students need the best education we can provide.” I cannot think of anyone who would disagree. Certainly those “wealthy individuals” he lambasts want the same thing.

I am neither an educator nor a lawmaker. I am just a parent who has had many, many years to observe public education. I’ve seen those teachers who no longer had the skills or desire to teach. I’ve also seen a new and promising teacher dismissed because the principal was on the fence about getting into a tenured commitment. 

Although George Sheridan did not identify himself as the union representative for the Black Oak Mine Teacher’s Association, it was very obvious in his letter that his objective is to spout union propaganda. It is not to assure that our children have the best possible teachers.

This is what The Bee printed: Re "Experienced teachers add value" (Letters, Feb. 3): George Sheridan's letter makes the statement, "Our students need the best education we can provide." I cannot think of anyone who would disagree.

I am neither an educator nor a lawmaker. I am a parent who has had many, many years to observe public education. I've seen those teachers who no longer had the skills or desire to teach. I've also seen a new and promising teacher dismissed because the principal was on the fence about getting into a tenured commitment.

George Sheridan did not identify himself as a representative for the Black Oak Mine Teachers. The objective of the letter was to state the union perspective. It was not to assure that our children have the best possible teachers.

-- Deborah Adair, Sacramento

No comments:

Post a Comment