Thursday, March 13, 2014

A Missed Friendship

This couldn't be happening.

I wanted to yell it out loud.

I was sitting in a cafe with some friends from class. We were chatting about class. Films. Projects. Across the table from me sat my friend. But this couldn't be. He had recently passed away. I knew that I had to be in some type of time warp or something. And there he was, laughing and talking.

My friend had warm, soulful eyes and a beautiful smile. He was kind. He seemed interested in people, and he had a way of connecting that made you feel is if he knew what you were all about.

I regretted that I'd never gotten to know him better. Who was he besides this man from class? Who were his wife and children? Did he have a dog?

So here we were sitting in a cafe. I wanted to yell, "Stop! I want to get to know you better." I felt as if I'd been given a second chance to get to know him, and all they wanted to do was talk about class. I could see now that he already showed signs of the disease. Did he know?

And then I woke up.

I was angry that my dream had ended so abruptly. I wanted so badly to get back inside of it. I wanted to have just five more minutes to get to know my friend from class so that I would feel as if I truly deserved to be called a friend.

---

Roderick, I wish I'd had a chance to get to know you better.

No comments:

Post a Comment