Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Wisdom of My Children

If you are passionate about something, go for it.
Don't be afraid to aim high. You may just succeed.

Surround yourself with people who share similar values.
It's not about economics or race or religion, or even politics (well, perhaps a little).

Talk to strangers.
Yes, that's right. Talk to them. What interesting people my children have met.

Travel.
My kids have created opportunities for themselves to travel and explore and meet people like I never would have dreamed of doing when I was young. It has made them confident and independent.

Don't listen to people who say you can't.
You are usually your own best judge of what you are capable of doing.

Diving off this rock will impress everyone.
Yeah, well, maybe not.

If it looks yucky or smells funny, don't eat it.
Why do we bother trying to get our kids to eat things? Offer healthy choices. They'll figure it out.

Be loyal to your friends.
I'm so proud of the way my kids have shown their friendship during some unfortunate circumstances.

Dress appropriately for your age.

I'm not sure whether this is about looking out for her parents or that our youngest child does not want us to embarrass her. Either way, we've learned to listen when she has a critique about what we're wearing. She's always right.

Read voraciously.
My children are full of interesting facts and knowledge of literature.

Get lots of exercise.
Lots and lots and lots and lots.

Do not pass up an opportunity to have fun.
Really, just don't.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. I like your kids, and have enjoyed conversations with them as well as friends of theirs. Hadn't taken in all of this wisdom, but see it very clearly now. How fun it must be for you to hear the latest adventure or wise new discovery.

    ReplyDelete