Monday, February 24, 2014

The Wisdom of My Parents

Always leave your campsite cleaner than when you found it.
Substitute your own location as it may apply to you: beach, park ... planet.

Think about the comfort of your passenger when braking or turning. 
I've been driving for 34 years,  and I can still feel my dad cringe beside me if I approach a stop sign too quickly.  

Make square corners.
Can you guess this one? My dad was a Marine. He wanted to be sure his children knew the appropriate way to make a bed. I think he was trying to teach us that there is a right way to do things and that we should take pride in our work. Or maybe he really liked square corners.

Pasta: lid off. Rice: lid on.

Every good boy does fine.

My mom was a piano teacher.

Say "please" and "thank you."
Remember when we heard those words all the time? Is it really that difficult to be polite?

Count how many days you're going to be gone and pack one pair of underwear for each day plus one extra.

In case of accidents, I suppose?

Hold out your hand and let him sniff.

My parents loved dogs, but they always respected the fact that they were animals. They never ever let us approach an unfamiliar dog without that admonishment.

Let go of your anger.

Holding onto anger toward the person who treated you badly lets him keep control over you.

Keep banging on this pot with this wooden spoon while we hike. You'll keep the bears away.
Why do parents tell their kids these things?

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
Ah. Now, you know why I tend to sit quietly so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment