Thursday, April 24, 2014

Simplicity

I peered into the refrigerator hopefully.

Tortillas. A bag of shredded cheese. Salsa. Hmmm. And some leftover rice. BINGO.

This was going to be a perfect afternoon meal with friends.

I'm not always this easy-going when it comes to food. In fact, I will always remember that night I sat at the kitchen counter crying in front of my son's friends because I had made a mistake with his birthday cake. I'd spent four hours on that cake!!

And I've spent 3 hours on a lasagna. It was DELICIOUS!!

I like to cook. I do a pretty decent job of it. I rarely stick to the recipes, and it's fun to have an audience for my creations. But it's easy to get so carried away with planning and preparations that I run out of energy to enjoy the moment.

This particular day with friends in the backyard was after we'd spent the morning out in the boat. It was hot, and we were all a little tired when we got back to my house.

I gathered up the bounty that I'd found in the sparsely stocked refrigerator and headed outside. As we all sat and visited, I started assembling quesadillas on the barbecue. We ate them about as quickly as they were coming off the grill. We were all busy people, and it was so nice to be able to relax for a change. And because our relationship usually revolved around our kids, we enjoyed the opportunity to focus on each other. We don't do that enough.

Although it was simple and took very little effort, our impromptu meal turned out to be one that I'll always fondly remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment