Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Bella Bru and Bicycles

I opened the birthday card and discovered a gift card for Bella Bru. I wrote a note to thank the friend who had given it to me and told him that I love going to Bella Bru, but I didn't really tell him why. So now, I will.

It's the bicycles.

Sure Bella Bru has decent enough food, and it's a convenient hangout for the locals to meet for lunch. But to me, it's all about the vibe. The feeling that comes with the bicyclists.

Bella Bru in Carmichael is one of the few spots near enough to the American River Parkway where bicyclists can gather. I'm not talking about the guys who race in Amgen. I'm talking about that nice neighbor couple down the street, a group of retired friends, a family, and sometimes a more serious set who are fueling up before a long ride.

They come in all different shapes and ages and abilities. And they bring with them a certain energy. It's an energy of anticipating their rides or of that sense of accomplishment when they're finished. And there is always an added verve that comes with that bond of friendship and camaraderie. That's what I like.

When I arrive at Bella Bru on my bicycle and order that slice of mixed berry pie, I enjoy it just a little bit more than if I'd driven there. I'm not one of those sporty types with the fancy bike and the clippy bike shoes. But I don't enjoy my bike any less than those guys with the all the gear.

I like to linger long enough to take it all in. There's often a group of older people who are enjoying their retirement years together. I sit and hope that when I'm their age I will have that group of friends who like to get out and do things together. I also can't help but think of those I know who haven't made the time in their busy lives to forge those friendships or to enjoy the outdoors.

So now you know. And if you ever happen to be in my neighborhood, want to go for a ride?




1 comment:

  1. Tidbit of local geography as well as recommendation for a fun place to go.

    ReplyDelete